Things to do
Sensational nature and quaint country charm – things to do at Crystal Creek Meadows, Kangaroo Valley and in the Southern Highlands and NSW South Coast
Welcome to picture perfect Kangaroo Valley where your holiday at Crystal Creek Meadows luxury accommodation can be as deliciously lazy or as action-packed as your heart desires. Located in the NSW South Coast region, just south of the Southern Highlands, we are surrounded by Morton National Park’s emerald forests that frame our lush National Trust listed landscape with oodles of heritage buildings and our famous Hampden Bridge. Crystal Creek Meadows lies at the very heart of this enchanting place. Step out of your cottage and you are literally in the view as much as you are admiring the golden sandstone escapements and rustic pasture land of neighbouring farms. Enjoy a canoe trip down the Kangaroo River or a stroll or ride through the beautiful countryside. Every cottage has the innovative My Green Butler service for daily suggestions of activities based on the day’s weather forecast or just ask our ‘Tour Desk’ for ideas that can become treasured memories.
A glimpse of beautiful Kangaroo Valley
Things to do at Crystal Creek Meadows
Explore perfumed gardens, say “hi” to the free range chickens, stroll along our 1 km walk to discover enchanting views, birdsong and hear the bubbling creek. Spend the afternoon playing outdoor games, recline in the summerhouse as golden evening light draws in… pure bliss.
- Our free-ranging chickens are a huge favourite of guests of all ages. Your cottage has a scraps bucket so you can feed the chickens in the morning, and it is a really special moment for kids to collect the still-warm eggs from the coop.
- We have binoculars you can borrow to birdwatch, and lots of helpful information on the 95+ species of birds who are so loved on the property.
- Bertie is a true star! Our little Pomeranian/Foxy dog loves to be taken for walks.
- To get life back into perspective, how about a bit of moon and stargazing at night. Our skies are absolutely free from light pollution and guests have even seen shooting stars.
- Families love a bit of wildlife spotting at night. We have so many nocturnal inhabitants like the feather gliders, ring tail possums, owls and of course wombats. Grab a torch and go hunting (for memories of course).
- Garden activities include fruit picking, outdoor chess, flower picking (yes – we love you to pick our flowers – the garden is there for you to enjoy!), and just finding a nice spot for a picnic. Free for you to borrow are gardening gloves, clippers and baskets, a kids’ tent, kids’ gardening play set, picnic sets and blankets, wellington boots for adults and kids, sunscreen and beach towels.
- Plant a tree together (cost from $3.50) to help our ongoing efforts to provide habitat for native birds and wildlife. A beautiful activity to share and perhaps to mark a special occasion or memory.
- Learn more about caring for country and what we do at Crystal Creek Meadows to look after our environment, and how you can help too
- For rainy days or a cosy evening by the fire, we have a DVD library, books, and plenty of games for adults and kids.
Things to do in Kangaroo Valley
Your idyllic country walk or bike ride starts from our gate. For nature choose from 25 bush walks; for adventure canoe down the river; or for discovery enjoy a horse trek to the mountain top. Then again you can enjoy your day exploring the village and chatting to locals in the charming local pub.
- Borrow one of our free bikes and helmets and head for the country lanes through enchanting farmland, with cows and horses coming up to the fences to say hello.
- Kayak down the Kangaroo River or the Shoalhaven Gorge, where you will see water dragons and wedge tailed eagles.
- The Pioneer Museum is a great place to get in touch with the valley’s pioneers. It consists of original buildings you can walk through. The Museum also has a fabulous Anzac display and a beautiful bushwalk.
- Fiztroy Falls waterfall and lookout has superb views over the Kangaroo Valley landscape.
- Drawing Room Rocks bushwalk is a must do for the reasonably fit, and there are plenty of walks for the not so fit to enjoy too.
- Kangaroo Valley village has a selection of individual shops – including woodcraft, nostalgia, craft and books.
- Then there is Flavours in the Valley cooking courses and the Hampden Deli Cooking Courses from Italian to Moroccan; they are very popular to enjoy as a group or individually while your partner plays golf at the Kangaroo Valley Golf Club (we have golf clubs available for you to borrow), fishing or takes a trip to the International Cricket Hall of Fame in Bowral.
- Upper Kangaroo River Road is a lovely drive through the countryside with a small vineyard Yarrawa Estate tucked away with gorgeous views across the valley.
- Kangaroo Valley Farmers Markets are the second Sunday of the month and offer a range of local produce.
Things to do in the Southern Highlands and South Coast
Away from city noise you can slow down to meander along leafy country lanes, visit unspoilt beaches (over 100 in the area); spot whales, cruise around with dolphins or explore the ancient landscape. From markets to book shops you can while away time to really relax. Kangaroo Valley is an ideal base to explore the Southern Highlands and the South Coast region.
- Jervis Bay is home to a pod of more than seventy Bottlenose dolphins who love to ride the bow-wave so you will be guaranteed an encounter. Whale watching season is June to November. Jervis Bay also has great cafes plus a wonderful playground and park by the beach.
- Minnamurra Rainforest and the Illawarra Fly Treetop Walk are a great day out – spectacular rainforest and coastal views from the raised walkways at the Fly, and a beautiful waterfall and rainforest walk at Minnamurra.
- Gerroa and Gerringong both have long sweeping beaches to walk, and Werri Beach is a surf beach with an excellent fish and chip shop right on the beach. We have boogie boards, beach towels and sunscreen for you to use.
- Visit fabulous Booderee National Park jointly managed by the Wreck Bay Aboriginal Community with pristine beaches, sublime walks, botanical gardens and Aboriginal storytelling and crafts.
- Enjoy a 15 minute scenic drive to the neighbouring village of Berry with its markets, shops and cultural events.
- Further afield is the historic village of Milton an hour away – with great shops and excellent cafes.
- The Southern Highlands has some great lookouts and waterfalls (from the top!) as well as vineyards such as Tertini Wines and a great second hand shop trail.
“Very highly recommended. Crystal Creek Meadows is three minutes from the hamlet of Kangaroo Valley. It is an easy drive to the coast, beaches, national parks and Fitzroy Falls, and the stunning Carrington Falls in nearby Budderoo National Park. Excellent cottages in lovely surroundings on very large grounds. Each is separate and isolated from the others; privacy you’ve got. I saw 27 bird species whilst walking around before breakfast.”
– TripAdvisor reviewer, California, March 2016
Our guide on what to do in and around Kangaroo Valley
Map of Crystal Creek Meadows
Birds and wildlife
60% of Crystal Creek Meadows is devoted to conservation through the rehabilitation of wetlands and perennial streams. Through our efforts, we have seen the number of bird species grow from twenty in 2004 to over 95 species in 2017, including the threatened Gang Gang Cockatoo and the Powerful Owl. You can see photographs of several bird species taken onsite by our conservationist Jessie Panazzolo below. Native wildlife is also abundant. Why not try a night walk with the torches provided in each cottage to spot wombats, ring-tail possums and feathertail gliders, also known as the pygmy gliding possum? Learn more about our conservation work and about our My Green Butler service which enables our guests to help us save resources during their stay without compromising their comfort.
Things To Do packages
- Enjoy the countryside with a rustic picnic for $70 – you can even borrow our free bikes. Requires 48 hours notice. Picnic hamper remains the property of Crystal Creek Meadows. Guests also have free access to picnic rugs and hampers to borrow.
Family Nature Stay
- Regular Tariff plus a local BBQ pack for one evening. Other optional extras include Shoalhaven Zoo, Trees Adventure and dolphin watching – ask for details. Midweek outside school holidays only.
- Four nights midweek
- 2 adults and 2 or 3 kids
- Immerse yourselves in nature by kayaking trip down the Kangaroo River to your stay.
- $50 pp for a 3+ hour self guided kayak